D&B revolutionises its Payment Fraud Detection System with NashTech
NashTech collaborated with the Dun & Bradstreet engineering team to identify the business needs and document critical non-functional requirements. This led to a reduction in response time from days and weeks to 30 mins to detect fraud and report to analysis.
For partner organisations relying on the Dun & Bradstreet platform, timing is the most critical factor. If there is a bankruptcy report or a default payment in the credit history of one of the companies that a partner organisation is associated with, then they would need to get alerts on that immediately. But what made this difficult was the fact that there were millions of customers, which gave rise to huge volumes of alerts on an hourly basis.
Major challenges that D&B was facing:
- The system’s performance was not up to the desired standard. The platform was slow and sluggish. For instance, if an organisation had signed up for a package that allowed them to receive alerts of any payment frauds or defaults within 4 hours, it took as long as 24 hours. Since timing was a critical factor, this was an unaffordable drawback.
- The system was unable to scale and work seamlessly in high-load scenarios as it was handling millions of customers and huge volumes of alerts.
- The addition of new functionalities to the platform was a challenge.
The Risk Management platform needed an addendum for an efficient payment fraud detection mechanism
Dun & Bradstreet’s risk management platform allowed partner organisations to access deeper intelligence to get a clear picture of the credit history, payment defaults, or potentially fraudulent activities of the organisations they were doing business with. This helped them to mitigate risks by receiving notifications & alerts whenever a business begins to pose a threat in the future.
And for this, the system needs to be efficient and meet the SLAs; alerts & notifications have to be processed fast so that the partner organisations using the platform can modify their business strategies right on time so that they don’t suffer any losses. However, there were significant roadblocks to achieving D&B’s goals because of the challenges that the Risk Management platform was bringing out.
Let’s understand these challenges at a deeper level.
Succeeding in fraud analytics
NashTech collaborated with the Dun & Bradstreet engineering team to identify the business needs and document critical non-functional requirements. D&B wanted to make sure that it meets all the requirements of its service-level agreement (SLAs) The solution was laid down with:
A glimpse of D&B’s Risk Management Platform
• Faster Alerts & Business Insights: Reduced the response time to 30 mins from days or weeks to detect fraud and report to analysis.
• Handle 8X Alerts: The system handles 8x the volume of alerts now that it was earlier able to and is scaling horizontally on GridGain.
• Onboard 3X Clients: Dun & Bradstreet was able to onboard many more clients as the system could now function under varying load conditions.